We are seeking a growth-oriented marketer to lead the growth of our business through effective and innovative consumer marketing. This is a unique opportunity to build and grow a direct to consumer brand in a unique and interesting category.
We are looking for a growth marketing expert, equally left-brained and right-brained, to scale our marketing efforts and further accelerate growth. In late 2015, we relaunched Book of the Month, a powerful brand with 90 years of history, as a monthly subscription e-commerce service that provides avid readers with a with fun, convenient, and affordable way to discover and buy new books each month. We have been growing rapidly since the relaunch.
The VP, Head of Marketing will oversee all paid and unpaid marketing channels, as well as creative conceptualization and execution efforts. She/he will also work closely with the product, technology, and content teams to conceptualize and implement initiatives and improvements that increase marketing ROI. The successful candidate will possess a unique combination of creative brand-building skills and data-driven digital marketing know-how. This is a great opportunity for a growth marketer who is ready to build and operate an internal, at-scale customer acquisition program. She/he will be well-positioned to take on a CMO role as the business scales.
About the Role
- Paid Marketing Spend: Scale a profitable customer acquisition program which includes social, SEM, SEO, display, affiliate, and direct media partnerships. Facebook/Instagram is currently our #1 paid channel.
- Email Marketing: Manage our new member and re-enrollment email programs by increasing the size of our “leads” lists and developing campaigns and triggered messages to increase conversions.
- Channel Management: Manage an array of marketing opportunities which results in a well-balanced program and ad spend growth each month. Implement formalized "briefing" processes for campaign development and launch.
- Creative Management: Manage a pipeline of creative concepts and refreshes to deploy into our marketing channels according to a well-organized calendar.
- Campaign Strategy: Develop a deep understanding of the existing customer and devise strategies for how to expand the customer base.
- Social Content Marketing: Work closely with the content team to use content and social platforms to push beyond traditional direct response strategies and create a many-to-many network of customer acquisition events.
- Analytics and Optimization: Measure campaign effectiveness and quickly drive iterative improvements. Work with the business intelligence team to develop standardized reporting and proactively communicate your results throughout the company.
- Brand Building: Identify appropriate partners and/or develop in-house talent to produce campaigns with a creative voice and identity for our brand.
- Team Leadership: Manage and grow our team of marketing professionals by leading through example, performing very hands-on day-to-day oversight of all campaigns.
- You love to read contemporary fiction <-- This is important!
- 5+ years of experience in customer acquisition and growth-oriented role for an online/digital product or agency.
- Experience managing an advertising budget of +$10M/year.
- MBA from a top program is a plus.
- Strong creative skill set with a voice and sensibility that is well-aligned with the Book of the Month brand.
- Math is a personal strength of yours. You make very few decisions without using it.
- Possesses empathy required to develop a deep understanding of the underlying factors motivating consumers to join (or not to join).
- Expert-level understanding of marketing tools and platforms, including Facebook Ads Manager, Google AdWords, Google Analytics, programmatic ad-buying platforms, third-party tracking software, etc.
- Extremely organized. Proven ability to establish business processes that scale beyond your individual contribution.
- Strong tech skills. You've worked closely with engineers. You understand common issues with pixels and cookies, and know your way around a relational database.
- Hungry. Willing to dig deep and put in the hard work required to build something new.